Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blog Award

In the dead heat of LBMCAT (Life Before MCAT) Rogue Medic gave me a Blog Award.

I was flattered for a couple of reasons.

1) He writes well researched, thoughtful, interesting, funny posts on things medical. I respect the amount of time and leg work he puts into his blog (unlike myself who pretty much uses this forum to whine and/or tell the odd quirky story about ED work). I don't know how he stumbled upon my site but he seems to think I write well and has given me many props and readers in the short time that Asystole has been up and running...er...'flat-lining' I guess.

2) I assumed that no one really read my long, drawn-out, gratuitous postings from start to finish...but evidently he does! And it appears there may be others out there...to quote the famous Oscar acceptance speech, "you like me! you really, really like me!!"

Not sure about the real reasons I even have a blog. Blogs.

I used to keep a journal pretty religiously but when I started blogging I stopped because I thought that OTB would be an on-line journal that no one else ever looked at. But my only-child-like-attention-seeking attributes made me want to be a popular blogger. ME! ME! ME! ME! LOOK! AT! ME!

But my journal was mostly random notes of self deprecation, resolutions regarding discipline, really bad poetry about love gone wrong, mandolin tabs, recipes, and more whingeing about my love life. Really...who would want to read that? But secondly, why would I want to put it out there to the world? Do we all have a little Jerry Springer guest living inside of us? (Wait. Has any guest on Springer ever been 'little'?)

*Shudder*

So now I have ohtanninbound for the "life" side of things and this blog for the "medical" side of things. But clearly the two overlap. And I find myself sugarcoating/downplaying/deleting a lot of my posts on OTB because now there are people who read it (careful what you wish for) and I don't know if I want folks knowing things are feeling pretty rough right now in many many ways. Okay. I guess I do.

Wait. I was talking about my blog award. And this is on Asystole. I am sleep deprived.

Back on track...this award thing has rules and they are as follows:

1.You have to pick five blogs that you consider deserve this award in terms of creativity, design, interesting material, and general contributions to the blogger community, no matter what language.

2. Each award has to have the name of the author and also a link to his or her blog to be visited by everyone.

3. Each winner has to show the award and give the name and link to the blog that has given him or her the award itself.

4. Each winner and each giver of the prize has to show the link of “Arte y pico” blog, so everyone will know the origin of this award.

5. To show these rules.

Well...I am not very good at following rules. Besides, there is no possible way I could pick 5 blogs to give this award to. I love all kinds of blogs for different reasons. And really, who am I to judge anyway?

My friends have brilliant blogs (L. Corn, Nature Nerd, JFS, Curmudgeon), but I have a context for them and it is a way for me to feel like I am 'in the loop'. They crack me up also. It's good to surround yourself with people who have razor wit...keeps one sharp.

I read a gaggle of medical related blogs. Some I find offensive yet hilarious, some just let me get my ER groove on while I have my cereal* (see Whitecoat and ERstories) but would likely leave non-medical people bored (or confused). Others have posts that chronicle the major and minor events in a med student's life which I enjoy, partly because they give me a constant reminder of what I am getting myself into. BINY, OMD, BB are my top three because I think they are all people I would enjoy working with based on their views of patient care, random pop culture references, dedication to athletics, and quirky humor. Really...what more could you wish for in a colleage? To add to that, I've recently started skulking around Dragonfly's site, her post on interpreting letters is nothing short of brilliant...check it.

To round out the "smile on your brother try and love one another" post I appear to be creating...I must confess to my guilty pleasure in the form of Cute Overload (seriously, don't knock it 'til you try it...I don't get my kicks out of the cuteness per se, but the banter attached is so unapologetically devoted to the cause and humourous I visit it almost daily).

Oh, and of course...Fail Blog. How I wish I'd had the comic genius to come up with that one.

Okay, that's enough for now. I started this post 12h ago before going to work....and now I've been up for >24h which means I am entitled to an eye mask and some shut-eye before I get back on the merry-go-round tonight.



*It really is the best cereal ever. The best. Try it. And no, I didn't get free samples for saying so.

6 comments:

Rogue Medic said...

I started reading some of your comments on some of the blogs you mentioned. They were interesting and insightful. I started reading your blog and found it to be the same. And I like the word play of OTB and ABB.

Once they are smart enough to let you into medical school, you will do well with it, and beyond school.

Albinoblackbear said...

Thanks Rogue! So someone out there does get the OTB joke!!

:)

Phew!

Rogue Medic said...

There are so many tannin connections - bound in leather, but tannin in wine, tea, smoked meat and fish, citrus, beer, and chocolate (my addiction, or the addiction of my inner woman). A word that can be a feast for the senses. Tannin being a feast for the senses - not my inner woman. That would bring out my rouge.

As a New Yorker, when I see the initials OTB, I always think of Off Track Betting. The only form of legal gambling until the lottery. What do New Yorkers know about gambling anyway?

Albinoblackbear said...

"...or the addiction of my inner woman..."

HAHAHAHAHAH!

Nicely put. :)

Maybe it's an addiction TO your inner woman...

Rogue Medic said...

Well, I can't get rid of her, so I might as well make the most of this MPD.

Dragonfly said...

Aw thanks :-)