Sunday, April 1, 2012

911 Call of the Night

We got the call from the ambulance, just before 2 am informing us that they were bringing in a man who'd called 911 for scabies.

Yes, that was his chief complaint. Which may win the "are you kidding me that you called an ambulance for that?" award.

The two night nurses debated on who would be the one to put the scabies cream on his back. The matter was settled by the ER doc putting a paper clip in one hand and letting the more senior RN choose which hand. She chose poorly.

We all itched and scratched for the rest of the night.

Downside...it cost taxpayers approximately $1000. Upside...the guy had a place to sleep and a change of clothing in the morning.

*Shudder* Image from here.

6 comments:

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Itch itch itch

CrownedwithVictory said...

If I ever found out I had scabies - no power on Earth would keep me from getting them off of me right that very second. Left alone, I would take a blowtorch to my skin. Sometimes emergencies are mental emergencies.

Unknown said...

Eww makes my skin crawl. Had one come in Ems for a ingrown toe nail one night.

Absentbabinski said...

Urgh.

Now my everything itches.

thethingspatientssay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thethingspatientssay said...

This was my worst offender in terms of use of the ambulance:

http://goo.gl/vYDGx

(Been awhile since I've used html tags, hope that works).